Fairview United Methodist Church took root in the 1800’s with the pioneers and Circuit Rider preachers of the Fairview Community. Their forebears were hearty adventurers such as Elisha Kirklen, who traded a rifle to the local Native Americans for 450 acres of land. The church was organized in 1907 at the one room Fairview School. A building committee was appointed, and E.E. Swingle donated a site, now 6525 Fairview Road. Charter families were Ashley, Carden, Daughtrey, Eldridge, Folkner, Gann, Gilmore, Kirkland, Lunsford, Messick, Pendergrass, Swingle, and Watkins.
In June 1908 a steepled white chapel stood beside the red mud road. Bishop W.F. Anderson led the dedication with the first pastor, Rev. John Sanders. By 1939 the harsh brow winds forced a move to the present site, 3901 Hamill Road, donated by W.C. Pendergrass. Members dug the basement with mules, scrapes, and shovels. They built a fieldstone foundation, and re-used materials and furnishings. They contributed hard-earned money. With time came building improvements, a parsonage, and a full time pastor. Since 1908 the original bell has continued to call us to worship and to God’s service.